No auto upgrade to newest version of ESS 8

Go to solution Solved by planet,

Under Advanced/Update setup in ESS 8 it is checked/setup to "Regularly check for latest product version" and also "Always update program components".

Last night while browsing the forum I noticed that version 8.0.312.0 (the newest version) was available but both of my PC's had version 8.0.304.0 installed and ESS 8 was saying the version installed was up to date.

I was under the impression that that ESS would upgrade to the newest version automatically. I didn't even see any kind of notice that a newer version was available, like a pop-up window or such.

If an ESET user did not see the post in the forum how would they know about the upgrade or newer version? 

So, why is there no auto upgrade to the newest version or at least a notice (that does not go away until you respond to or clear it) of some kind that an upgrade is available?

Thanks for posting this.

I also request an answer.

Thanks in advance.

I saw a poster on Wilders that recommended you uninstall current version, this i am not happy to do.

I trust that the software should autoupdate.

Confirmation on this please!

Edited by Fred Singh

• Most Valued Members
  • Solution

Quoting Peter from another topic...

the in-product upgrade should be available in upcoming days, if there will be no serious negative feedback from users, who updated manually already.

It will take a little bit longer than the standalone release to make sure that there are no issues with a new upgrade with users. However, it will be available at some point and ESS will notify you to upgrade or automatically upgrade (depending on your settings).

I saw a poster on Wilders that recommended you uninstall current version, this i am not happy to do.

I trust that the software should autoupdate.

If you wish to upgrade now (without waiting a little bit longer for the in-product upgrade), you can manually download ESS from the ESET website and run the installer without uninstalling. This will upgrade ESS without needing to uninstall, and you simply restart your computer after the upgrade is complete.

Personally I would only uninstall and do a fresh install if I was having any trouble with the upgrade, or there is a major upgrade (eg. from version 6.0 to 7.0).

Planet:

Thank you for the clarification on the update process.

I thought once the news/posting of the the update was announced that the in-product upgrade would be immediate.

I just installed the upgrade over the older version and it worked perfectly, only asking for a reboot to complete the upgrade.

• Administrators

Users with pre-release updates selected will receive the program component update via the built-in updater within the next few days.

• Most Valued Members

Planet:

Thank you for the clarification on the update process.

I thought once the news/posting of the the update was announced that the in-product upgrade would be immediate.

I just installed the upgrade over the older version and it worked perfectly, only asking for a reboot to complete the upgrade.

I'll wait for autoupdate, no biggie :)

Thought the instruction at Wilders was a bit extravagant to say the least.

Thanks.

You're both welcome.  :) Glad to hear that the upgrade worked perfectly.

It's ultimately a personal preference to do a fresh install or simply upgrade an existing one (similar to when a new version of Windows is released). Uninstalling the current version first will mean that the installation for the new version will have more of a chance of installing successfully, whereas an upgrade needs to figure out what you currently have installed and try to transfer/convert/import your existing settings/configuration/etc. into the new version and has more of an opportunity for a problem to occur (especially if it's a major release).

Users with pre-release updates selected will receive the program component update via the built-in updater within the next few days.

Good news, Marcos!

Yep I got a notification yesterday asking me (I have PCU updates set to ask) if I wanted to updated. One difference was that this notification didn't popup in the lower corner of the screen but in the middle of the screen.

I wonder what effect does the "regularly check for latest product version" have because I have it disabled but I was still asked if I wanted to download the PCU by using the in-built updater ? Or is it that "regularly check for latest product version" only apply to major product releases like v7 -> v8 -> v9 ? And not for PCU updates ?

post-320-0-85867100-1428993954_thumb.jpg

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

We can issue different types of PCU. The settings you've pointed out are for the PCU that I'd call "the most obtrusive" when you would be prompted to upgrade each time you update (known from PCU for v3 and v4). However, this relatively new type of PCU can be postponed or skipped.

But if SweX already got a notification then it's quite strange that one VM with ESS v 8.0.304.x didn't got any until now. Even if I check manually it still claims that v 8.0.304.x is the newest one.

post-3952-0-90391200-1429213045_thumb.png