I Used All 5 Family Pack Licenses, 1 Computer Died, Can't Install Eset On New Computer

mcnam007

We bought the 5-user Family pack of ESET.

We installed all 5 of the licenses on five computers.

The same key is used to install each of the 5 licenses.

One of our computers recently crashed and is irrecoverable.

We bought a new computer to replace it.

But when we tried to install ESET on the new computer, from the 5-pack, we got an error message that we were trying to exceed the 5-user limit.

? How can we specify that 1 of the installations is no longer being used, so that we can install the ESET on the new (the 5th) computer?

Thank you!

Correct, If you have 1 computer go down, you can build a new and use the same license. ESET will recognize your still actively using only 5 and wont see it as 6 because the dead computer won't be asking for updates since its dead, LOL

The only way this may happen is if you actually have a 5th one somewhere online actively getting updates using your license.

This is how license theft or misuse is caught for those that have queried this in the past.

Good luck mcnam007.

Oh, interesting...

ESET doesn't check license overuse during install.

But you should be clear in your mind what this means on the other hand.

On the one hand this error here shouldn't exists, but on the other hand it's not quite a good technology to prevent this misuse of license data.

But to solve this 2 problems at once I already had an idea: Online License Managment.

In this idea this issue could be solved in a simple way:

1. The user would have to login online to the online license managment.
  2. Then he can identify the broken device and delete it. Now the license would be free (4 of 5 devices used) and a new device could be added.
  3. And now the user would be able to activate the license on the new device without any problem

Like I say it's only an idea and I'm currently making a simulation to show how I mean this. I'll post in the "Online License Managment" topic if I'm finished.

Edited by rugk

Oh, interesting... :)

Marcos, on 20 Aug 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:snapback.png

ESET doesn't check license overuse during install.

But you should be clear in your mind what this means on the other hand.

On the one hand this error here shouldn't exists, but on the other hand it's not quite a good technology to prevent this misuse of license data.

I need to correct this on Marcos behalf because he is correct it does not check on install. This helps when removing from 1 PC and installing on another.

He said not on install only.

License count is registered in when updating. If its over the limit you will not receive an update, because 5 computers already updated within the last hour.

This is how it works AFAIK. You cant actively have more than 5 running on a system with a 5 PC license etc. The 6th will fail every ime at updating.

Edited by Arakasi

License count is registered in when updating. If its over the limit you will not receive an update, because 5 computers already updated within the last hour.

This is how it works AFAIK. You cant actively have more than 5 running on a system with a 5 PC license etc. The 6th will fail every ime at updating.

Yeah I understand (that the license is not checked at installation and only at updating), but with an online license management they also would be able to check this at installation, so that license misuse is detected rather and the ESET product can stop providing protection (or something similar). E.g. a user could also deactivate updates and/or only update (manually) every week/month/(...). In this case maybe the license system will "think" that this one time in a week/month it's a new computer and let it update. Of course this would not provide a good protection, but it's only an idea.

But this is an untested idea and I don't know (and also don't want to now) whether this works or not.

And I won't give any more ideas to bypass this system. This is a public forum and I don't want to post something like this here.

But at one thing I'm quite sure: An online license management with checking the license at installation would prevent license misuse more than the actually system - I think.

Hint: @moderators: If you think you have to censor some parts of this post feel free to do it.

I don't think ESET has the mindset of selfishness, to purposefully and literally , prevent someone from infecting their PC's for financial gain. What kind of image does that set for companies ? A bad taste in my mouth, i'll exclaim.

ESET allows for free 30 day trials, they still keep protection if the license expires, customers just no longer receive updates for the newer threats. That is the downfall.

I would recommend against forcing protection off for people. You never know if maybe they decide to buy a month after expiration, while still trying it out or saving money. :)

I don't think ESET has the mindset of selfishness, to purposefully and literally , prevent someone from infecting their PC's for financial gain. What kind of image does that set for companies ? A bad taste in my mouth, i'll exclaim.

ESET allows for free 30 day trials, they still keep protection if the license expires, customers just no longer receive updates for the newer threats. That is the downfall.

I would recommend against forcing protection off for people. You never know if maybe they decide to buy a month after expiration, while still trying it out or saving money. :)

Yeah, maybe you're right, but there are still other reasons for the Online License Managment.