Question about default settings

hqsec
Go to solution Solved by SweX,

Hi to all!

I have a question about default settings of ESET Nod32 AV 7.0.302.26. I've installed AV with default settings. Upon examining advanced settings I found out that option "Advanced heuristics on file executions" is enabled by default (as shown in attached printscreen). User guide says the following:

"By default, advanced heuristics are not used when files are executed. However, in some cases you may want to enable this option (by selecting Advanced heuristics on file execution). Note that advanced heuristics may slow the execution of some programs due to increased system requirements."

So is user guide right and we should disable this option or should this option be enabled? As I remember, in previous versions, there would even be a warning message when user enabled this option (warning about performance impact). With v.7 there is no more warnings when advanced heuristics are enabled or disabled. Even when enabling Advanced heuristics/DNA/Smart signatures in ThreatSense engine parameter setup, program shows no warning. So my question is: has there been any improvement in Advanced heuristics module regarding system performance impact?

hqsec

post-3069-0-28208300-1393272879_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

The text in the user guide is evidently outdated. I'll check it out with the documentation team to make sure it's accurate and up to date. Advanced heuristics should be left enabled on file execution.

• Solution

Advanced Heuristics during real-time scanning is disabled by default. 

Advanced Heuristics for on-execution is enabled by default.

I believe enabling AH for real-time scanning is the setting that could cause some impact on the performance wich is why it is disabled by default.

Thank you both for your answers. Does anybody know why there is no more warning when turning on Advanced Heuristics in real-time scanning?

hqsec

Edited by hqsec

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Thank you both for your answers. Does anybody know why there is no more warning when turning on Advanced Heuristics in real-time scanning?

hqsec

Enabling this option shouldn't have substantial effect on system performance, especially after a disk scan (e.g. first-time scan) has been run and LiveGrid and Smart optimization are enabled.

hqsec

Enabling this option shouldn't have substantial effect on system performance, especially after a disk scan (e.g. first-time scan) has been run and LiveGrid and Smart optimization are enabled.

Good to know, but personally I will leave it disabled as I don't feel I need AH activated for the real-time scanner. The web protection module is too good to let anything through in most cases anyways B)  I feel confident enough knowing that AH kicks in during execution. 

Edited by SweX

• 4 weeks later...

After a default installation "Advanced heuristics on file executions" is enabled by default. However, when you click on "Default" in the lower right corner of the corresponding window and reset to default, it will be disabled again, no matter if you reset only the "Advanced setup" or all settings. So there must be a discrepancy between a default installation and resetting to default settings.

It would be nice to know if anybody else can reproduce this. 

Edited by FleischmannTV

After a default installation "Advanced heuristics on file executions" is enabled by default. However, when you click on "Default" in the lower right corner of the corresponding window and reset to default, it will be disabled again, no matter if you reset only the "Advanced setup" or all settings. So there must be a discrepancy between a default installation and resetting to default settings.

It would be nice to know if anybody else can reproduce this. 

Yes I can reproduce this. It looks like Default option was not updated to default installation settings, as you said.

hqsec

My memory tells me we had a discussion about this not long ago in another thread obviously I don't remember in what thread it was. Or if ESET gave an answer about it in that thread. Hmmm... :unsure: