ESET Smart Security 7 Beta & ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 Beta Released – Give Feedback and win

• Administrators

The Beta Editions of ESET Smart Security 7 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 have been released and are now available for you to download for testing purposes.

DOWNLOAD HERE
When upgrading from an existing version, we strongly recommend that you update the virus signature database and modules first. Clean installations of the programs are recommended, however.

New features:

• Advanced memory scanner provides protection against obfuscated threats
  • Vulnerability shield protects your computer from network threats exploiting vulnerabilities in communication protocols
  • Improved cleaning of rootkits ensures that even in case of infection with persistent malware, the system will be restored to a working malware-free state
  • Device control allows for controlling access to a variety of devices and peripherals
  • Automatic first time scan cleans potential malware on the computer and improves performance of future scans

Read about the Version 7 Known Issues in our Knowledgebase Section.

We value your participation in beta testing

Users Worldwide
Starting from June 11, each week we will draw 100 ESET Smart Security beta testers who will be awarded a one-year ESET Smart Security license. The contest ends on July 11, 2013.
The sooner you enter, the higher chance of winning. For more information about the contest, please visit hxxp://www.eset.com/beta/v7.

Edited by dwomack

Hey Eset, Your released cycle/marketing strategy seem to me, to be more aggressive, not that I complain, just a observation. Regarding beta testing, could it then be an idea to create a post that explain how to give feedback (an example) regarding beta issues, on this forum. An example could be, first to state the main observation/problem, a description. Then the details, like browser used (version), OS, hardware, software environment etc. Some thoughts about how to beta test, will give new beta testers a better idea ,about how they should systematically work with a beta.

Regards, Janus :-))

I still say that the menus and GUI in general should be geared towards touch interfaces now that there are more Windows Mobile Tablets/Laptops in the marketplace. :)

• ESET Insiders

It seems fair to say not a lot has changed visually at this stage. 

One obvious exception is the IMO rather grotesque tray icon of E. I much prefer the current v6 tray icon.

The initial scan is a nice idea.

So far no issues during testing. May try and see how an in-place upgrade goes from v6 to v7 beta.

• ESET Insiders

An in-place upgrade went really well, no issues. 

One restart expected, advised and followed.

Working really well.  :)

Guest lurch234

I still say that the menus and GUI in general should be geared towards touch interfaces now that there are more Windows Mobile Tablets/Laptops in the marketplace. :)

No!! Out of the question! If you want to do that then keep the regular interface for those who will have nothing to do with touch interfaces...

There are still people who keep their computing at home on big monitors which are not suitable for touch interfaces...

• Most Valued Members

Removed ver 6, and installed v7 clean. Like the new part within the firewall that shows the detection date of the app you are defining the rule for :) .

All seems to be running fine and appears to be of similar performance to v6.

Nice look to the tray icon too ;)

Installed EAV v7 over EAV v6 and no issues so far.

Edit: No scan performed on restart despite it being selected when running setup?

Edited by BrainDedd

Installed on Windosws 7 x64 with no problems!

GUI looks nice and clean! No big changes to UI i wish it was!

It's fast but use to much memory in ram. This should be improved!

:)

Hey ESET!!!!

I just downloaded the V7 Beta and so far am loving it. I just installed it on Windows 7 64bit No issues It did take a bit long to install but well worth it!! All up to date and running a smart scan smoothly! Great Product!!

Edited by Hakdahakrs

• Most Valued Members

i try to install the beta on a windows 8 pro 32bit machine and i get the error on the image.

post-382-0-09539300-1370995915_thumb.png

Guest Miek Gall

It seems fair to say not a lot has changed visually at this stage. 

One obvious exception is the IMO rather grotesque tray icon of E. I much prefer the current v6 tray icon.

The initial scan is a nice idea.

So far no issues during testing. May try and see how an in-place upgrade goes from v6 to v7 beta.

the Classic Nod 32 v 2.0 look.

Fresh install on Win8 (x64) flawless install no issues so far. the GUI seems the same as v6,   I love the quick response to issues (see above post)

I love the Jigsaw Captcha BTE

The Goods:

Cleaning Install on win8 Pro x64 went fine.

Bugs:

FW: (set to manual) lets browsers and some app still connect while information window is up and have not chosen allow or block yet. So we have some leaks in this version as v6 it will block everything untill you select your option.

Browser: Slow on loading video content. Flash  bases looks to be the worse so far.

Nothing else as of right now, but will still be doing debugging and testing as the day goes on.

Well, I got a couple of issues so far, the first one is really weird and I have never seen it before:

1) I got an error "this programm has stopped working" on the installer a few seconds after starting install. However, I dismissed the message (one of the choices was "close the program" which I selected) but install still continued and was able to complete. I've upgraded directly over v6. This is weird becuase this never hapenned to me before, I've never had Windows Installer crashing, much less crashing and kept running after termination. I know my PC is not in top shape though (need to reformat soon) due to lots of install/uninstall of many software with leftovers, and very little space left on my C drive.

2) Error communicating with driver for HIPS, and HIPS does not start. I suspect this one may be fixed by a reboot which I wil try shortly.

Otherwise I like the update. Not too many changes in the UI from previous versions so the transition was easy, but still a few noticeable new features. A "First Scan" started by itself after install and startup. I did not check the exact time but I would put the first scan at around 10 minutes after completion of setup. This is a good way of ensuring a system scan as we all know many people install an antivirus and never (or rarely) scan afterward, and it's good to establish the baseline of a system. I did not find the "Vulnerability shield" feature announced in the changelog, unless this refers to "social media scan" option under tools. This latter option opens a facebook app page asking you if you want to opt in (I disallowed the permission to post on my behalf) then it brings you to a facebook app page from which you can run a profile scan, or scan your PC directly from the browser. Run Profile Scan found nothing in my case, and scan my computer from the browser redirected me to a ESET Online Scanner download page.

Overall, great job despite my minor install issue which I really suspect to be due more to the state of my PC than to the installer itself, and a few improvements/new features which are welcome.

PS: I am on Windows 7 x64, no Service pack and no Windows update have been installed. I am reformatting my PC next weekend so I've been putting off installing updates until the reformat but I've been telling me this for months now...

• Administrators

I did not find the "Vulnerability shield" feature announced in the changelog, unless this refers to "social media scan" option under tools. 

This feature can be configured in the IDS setup -> Intrusion detection -> SMB/RPC/RDP protocol where you can enable/detection detection of exploits for these communication protocols.

just installed nod32 7th gen,its running its first full scan,looking 4ward to the improvements!,little q tho,it sez not activated,do i need a trial license for the beta?

btw,running w7 pro 64 bit,eset av and TuneUpUtils

Edited by BK2beingME

Guest xankazo

Installed v7.0.28.0 beta (64 bit) on Windows 8 Pro (64 Bit) and some of the Modern UI Apps keep crashing. The apps that crash are: the Mail/People/Messaging/Calendar app, Bing News, Bing Sports, and others. Other apps just hang and can't get internet access (News Bento).

This happened after a successful clean install. After uninstalling and reverting back to v6.0.316.0 everything is working fine again. 

Specs:

Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

4GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX460

• Administrators

Installed v7.0.28.0 beta (64 bit) on Windows 8 Pro (64 Bit) and some of the Modern UI Apps keep crashing. The apps that crash are: the Mail/People/Messaging/Calendar app, Bing News, Bing Sports, and others. Other apps just hang and can't get internet access (News Bento).

This issue has already been fixed, just run update manually so that the latest modules are downloaded and installed. Should the problem persist, restart the computer.