Device Control - Does Not Block Writing CD's

acjames

All,

Just so you are aware, there is a current bug (In Version 5.0.2126.0)

Bug: Device Control does not block writing optical devices on Windows 7 Professional

I have only tested it on Windows 7 Professional, but I suspect the same problem will exist in all Windows 7 versions.

ESET have confirmed this as a known bug, and they say it will be fixed in the next version.

Cheers,
James

Last response from Marcos;

This issue was initially reported on Windows XP and it's been confirmed as fixed in the latest version of Endpoint. I've asked the testers to re-test the built-in cd/dvd writing feature on Windows 7.

James,

Have you tried version 5.0.2214? does the problem still appear.

Would be useful to know as we are using Device Control heavily here and do control Read and Write access to CD/DVD ROM Drives.

Thanks,

Dan

• Administrators

The test was scheduled for next week so we've got no results yet.

Last response from Marcos;

This issue was initially reported on Windows XP and it's been confirmed as fixed in the latest version of Endpoint. I've asked the testers to re-test the built-in cd/dvd writing feature on Windows 7.

Hi Dan,

I have indeed installed that version. And the problem still remains.

I have not tried blocking the drive completely. Our setup is - we want users to READ cd's. But not write them.

Windows 7 and 8 allow writing, regardless of the Device Control to say "Writing Blocked".

Marcos,

Many thanks, please keep me informed.

Cheers,

James

• Administrators

We weren't able to reproduce the issue on Windows 7. Please provide more information about the cdr/dvd recorder you use (brand, model), whether it's external or internal and whether connected via (e)SATA/PATA/USB(1,2,3), firewire,etc.

Hi Marcos,

That information is a little hard to come by. Because it's happening to all the computers in our domain. About 98% of our PC's/Laptops are HP. They are from all different ages/models. Having done some testing myself, it happens on Windows XP too.

All of the CD drives are internal, and are almost certainly going to be SATA.

However, I can provide you the details of the DVD drive on my machine.

hp DVD-RAM GH60L
SCSI\CDROM&VEN_HP&PROD_DVD-RAM_GH60L\4&285FA113&0&010000

We will be moving away from ESET shortly (not because of this problem ) - So this will not be an issue for us, but may be for your other customers.

Cheers,
James

• Administrators

Could you confirm or deny that the issue affects only CDs/DVDs burnt using the Disk-At-Once method and multisession media are blocked fine?

• 3 years later...

I know, it's been a long time... but has this error been addressed or is it not possible to disallow burning-tools to write on cds/dvds?

I couln't find anything on the internet regarding ESET, only this guide by Symantec:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH104800.html

Is this also necessary for ESETs Device Control on Windows 7 (8, 10)?

Looking forward to any kind of knowledge regarding this area.

• ESET Staff

Hello, as of now the situation still is, that we are not able to block all software.

As of now, we should be able to block Nero, CDBurner, MS default writer, and anything that access the CD Writer via a specific IOCTL. For the rest, we could not guarantee, and so far no progress was made. 

Btw, what particular problem you are trying to solve by this? Protection of company data, or? Can you elaborate a bit more please? There might be another solution for your problem (like blocking the burning tools). 

Hello, thanks for your response!

Yes, company data should be secured, so writing on USB-Sticks is already forbidden.

The problem with blocking specific program-paths is that (even if the user is not allowed to install software) one could always have a portable version of a cd/dvd-burning tool not currently blocked by device control.

At least I know now what's possible and what's not :-)